what do you know about water safety?
For some being in, on or around the water is a passion. For others it’s a livelihood. For the lucky ones, it’s both. At EBB & FLO our number one priority is your safety. With that in mind please read the following safety advice before heading out on the water.
top tips to Always remember…
- Check the weather forecast and tide times before you set out – they can change quickly.
- Download helpful Apps such as Windy / BBC Weather / Magic Seaweed /Met Office.
- Equip yourself with a local tide time table.
- Check the local water signage, not only will it help you identify risks and hazards it will also identify local emergency contacts and provide you with general information on the area.
- Don’t go out in exposed water locations where offshore winds are above 11 mph.
- Tell someone where you are going and how long you will be, even better take a buddy with you.
- Wear the appropriate clothing for the time of year.
- Wear a suitable personal flotation device.
- Always wear the appropriate leash and hold onto your board if you get into trouble – it will help you float.
- In warmer weather put on sun cream, you can get burnt even when the suns not shining.
- Carry phone with you in a water proof case.
- Install the what3words GPS tracking app, in the event of an emergency this will pinpoint your location to within 3m square.
- Take liquid and a snack if you are on the water for more than 2 hours.
- Seek out local water sports schools and ask their advice.
- Trust your gut, if there is no one else out on the water there is probably a reason why!
- Have Fun!
We believe most of the frequently asked questions are covered on our FAQ’s section linked below. However, if you can’t find an answer to your question you can either chat with us on instant messenger or fill in the form here.